Highlights of the March 18, 2021 meeting of the Labour Council:
- Guest speakers Kari Micheals (BCGEU) and Paul Lagace (Unemployment Action Centre) spoke on housing affordability issues in BC and Prince Rupert.
- The Labour Council will donate $250 to the Unemployment Action Centre in support of its work for the community.
- The Labour Council formed two new committees: Annual Events and Local Campaigns. Committee sign ups will be in May.
- The Annual Events Committee will develop an annual calendar of unity and action days to build solidarity and community for people in the North Coast region and beyond.
- The Local Campaigns Committee will focus on two major campaigns each year. Every May the campaigns will be reviewed and the Labour Council will commit to two major campaigns for the upcoming year.
- For 2021-22, the campaigns will be the Community for Clean Water Campaign and the North Coast Affordable Housing Campaign.
- The next meeting will be May 20, 2021. The draft agenda was emailed to delegates immediately after the March meeting. This meeting will focus on changes to the By-Laws, including a possible change in name (to focus on our work in the North Coast region) and changes in structure (to be more inclusive in representation across the region as a whole).